Friday, May 29, 2009

Do-It-Yourself Laundry Soap


A couple of months ago Nate's cousin Lacey posted about making her own laundry detergent. I just had to try it. I just finished doing my second batch of laundry and I LOVE it. Isabella thinks its fun to sit in the dirt in her WHITE onsies (thanks Dad for taking me outside in my white clothes) and Jordan can SPILL just about anything in 2 seconds flat. My clothes came out clean without having to do any spotting! Heaven! I thought I may have just had beginners luck but It has been 2 weeks now and about 8-10 loads of laundry and I don't think I will go back to the other stuff! Thanks Lacey! Here is the recipe if you would like to try it too.

Ingredients:

1. Box of Borax Natural Boost - this can be found in the laundry soap aisle-it also helps with urine smells if you are potty training!
2. Box of Arm & Hammer WASHING soda. (baking soda will NOT work)
3. 1 bar Fels-Naptha soap, a stain removing bar. (ANY bar of soap like Ivory, Dove etc will work but this one has stain fighting in it)

The MIX

1. Grate you bar of soap with a cheese grater. Dump this in your blender.
2. Measure 1 cup of Borax and 1 cup washing soda. Add to bar soap in blender.

Blend until it turns into a nice fine powder.

USE 2 TBS for a full load of Laundry. Really 2 tbs works great!

Since you are using dry ingredients, it dosen't gum up your blender at all.

5 comments:

Steve and Kirsten said...

I'm interested in in using this stuff. How much of the dry powder do you put in your load of laundry? Can you use it on colors?

DowdleFam said...

I use it on all my wash, colors, whites towels, everything. You only have to use 2 tablespoons per load!

Anonymous said...

I'm totally trying it.

Lacey said...

Yay! I'm so glad you like it! I make it in bulk now!

Tobi said...

I have all the ingredients and I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing your great find!